The DJ announces that the new Mr. & Mrs. are going to cut their cake..The bride picks up the knife and more often then not, they look at me, & go "What do we do?!".. This usually results in a giggle between us all and then I walk them through exactly what they need to do! So, I figured I would share some insight here on how to cut your cake!
- The groom traditionally holds the knife (not a necessity). The bride will wrap her hand over her grooms to cut the cake together! I've also seen the bride hold the knife, the groom stands behind her (like prom pose style) and wrap his hands over hers! It's all personal preference!
- You'll cut the bottom tier! The top tier is for you to save, freeze, and eat on your year anniversary! I've heard mixed reviews on just how good it tastes after a year in the freezer!
- Cut one slice. You'll only be taking a bite or two so one slice is pretty standard. Cut the slice in half for your share!
- Discuss your feeding method prior to your wedding! Your photos aren't quite done at this point, and chances are you've spent a good amount of money on makeup! If you don't want frosting face let your hubs to be know that you'd prefer a gentle route! ;)
- Make sure you have a knife & plate! It happens quite often that we get to the table, realize we don't have utensils, & then I run around like a crazy person getting the items together! Which is totally fine by me but I resemble a crazed chicken! So my tip is to designate your MOH or Momma to make sure the cake table is set accordingly!
- Have fun with it! This is such a FUN moment so relish it up & take your time!! No one's in a rush and you exchanging a few smooches afterwards never hurts! <3
Hopefully this helps break down this moment for you!! That's why I shoot weddings... It's all for the cake.