Oh workflow. Everyone has their own way of doing things & I know I love reading about other peoples workflows! So I figured I would share how I manage my blogging/editing!
Since I started shooting, I have really tried my best to blog all my sessions in a timely matter AND get them in my clients hands at a rate that would make them excited, wowed, and most importantly, keep me on top of it all to avoid getting swamped!
So this is my workflow as of late! I've made some adjustments along the way (adding programs like PhotoMechanic & Blogstomp: Both LIFE savers).
So wam bam thank you ma'am, here we go!
Saturday - Shoot Wedding (while I shoot I mentally remember images that moved me. This will help later in the process!)
Saturday Night - Import/Back up x3 (HD in computer, automatic time machine back up, & external) & ALL cards - I do not format or clear a card until everything is safe and sound!! If I'm hoteling for the evening it'll be HD on laptop, external, and CF cards!
Sunday/Monday - My most productive days all depends on energy level/Sunday plans!
- Run through images in PhotoMechanic - Mark Images to edit by color coating.
- Import ALL color coated images to edit into Lightroom.
- Run through those 500-600 +/- images quickly and mark all the ones to blog with 5 stars! This is where mentally nothing WHILE shooting comes into play - I'll mentally know which images I want to blog! It helps with the process!
- Sort images by rating (only show 5 star images)
- Edit the "to blog images"
- Export into separate folder titled "Caynay Favorites"
- Set up images to blog via BlogStomp
- Blog by Monday or Tuesday!
Monday-Thursday - Edit baby edit! One of my biggest tips here? Use batch editing! Since you already edited a good chunk for the blog use those images to batch edit since they're already made pretty! Make adjustments as needed but doing this has sped up my work flow tremendously!
Friday - Final run through! Back up final gallery & mail out via USPS Priority!
Obviously this is the "in a perfect world" week & sometimes this doesn't happen and I'm pushed back a bit! This is why my contract covers me for a 4 week turn around! I haven't used up the full 4 weeks (thankfully) but just in case! :)
I also just might prefer editing to shooting (I know, I know.. I'm the oddity) so it's always easy for me to edit! But I do have a few things that help me stay focused to knock out editing quickly and efficiently!
- Headphones! I often put on my favorite Pandora channel, put the headphones on and rock out. Cutting out all outside sounds helps keep me focused and concentrated.
- Work during your favorite time of day. Not a morning person? Edit at night! Hate the glare at night? Work in the morning! I'm a complete night owl so working at night on editing just fits my personality best.
- Put your phone away! I flip it over and put it out of site so I'm not distracted by the glow of an Instagram "like" or an email!
- Give yourself a stretch or social media break, or my personal favorite.. A shower! For some reason taking a break mid day to shower always helps me freshen and re-focus.
- Don't edit too much on Saturday night. I know, I know.. I get SUPER excited about pictures.. But I have often times edited some to wake up Sunday & have to hit "reset" on them. Tired eyes are ompa loompa eyes!
- Get some fresh air! I'll step outside on the balcony for a few for some fresh air and a little sunshine! 15 minutes of this is good for the soul.